Skip to main content

February - no spend month

I get paid on the 28th of each month, and sometimes, like this past January, it feels like weeks between payday and the beginning of the next month. I have about three months worth of pay saved up so I'm never quite short on funds, but I do try to make each current pay last till the end of the month (the 30th or 31st, rather than the 28th),

Since February has only 28 days (normally) it is a nice feeling to head right into March with a full paycheque. This month, to make it even sweeter, I have declared it "no spend month." This means that all non-essential spending (groceries and gas excluded of course) is to be delayed for four short weeks. And I am not allowing myself to cheat by using a credit card and paying it off next month. Half of my January pay went towards a hefty credit card bill from December spending, even though I had a christmas savings account set up. Still, it is nice to check my credit card statements and see that zero balance.

Since I am single again, I will have a nice chunk of change in my accounts, since I won't have to buy anyone anything for valentine's day, or a birthday that would have come up this month. I have my eye on a new piece of electronics for myself (my weakness!) but so far I have been putting that off for months already. I'm looking at a Pandora bracelet for my mom's birthday in April, and I also have Bean's birthday party in the spring for which to save up.

I also need to buy a push-mower in the spring, and I would like to put in a dishwasher. I should get a plumber in to check the overflow drain that is leaking from the bathroom tub into the basement. It looks like an easy DIY fix but I wouldn't want to do it wrong. Finally, the cat is scratching up all my hardwood trim, so I'm thinking of taking him in to be de-clawed. I think it is cruel but if he stays indoors it might be ok. Still thinking about it ...

And I should really do something about the car-port, which looks like a meteor hit it.

I started on my taxes, and it looks like I might get a nice refund this year. Should I save it all, or buy myself a little treat? I do love shiny new electronics!

Comments