Skip to main content

for sale

Last night before I fell asleep I was seriously contemplating selling my bass guitar and my violin.

I own a 1974 Fender MusicMaster bass that I used in several punk-rock bands in the 1990s.

I also own a 1902 Stradivarius copy that I have never really played. A few years ago I took it in for repairs and was told that if I played for 20 minutes each day that the violin would repair itself. I never did it.

I could probably get $600 for the bass and maybe $50 for the violin, so it might not be worth it. That amount would be spent pretty quickly with nothing to show for it.

I still owe $2900 to my debt. $650 would barely make a dent.

Yet I don't intend to play either instrument any time soon so I would do it for two other reasons:
1) to de-clutter a bit
2) to break from my past.

I played the violin in public school from grades 6-9. I went to music camp for a couple of weeks for two summers. I was actually pretty good by the time I quit. I was supposed to audition for a school of arts for high school but my nerves kept me away, and no one from my family was interested in coming with me, which might have encouraged me. One of my biggest regrets is skipping that audition. I'm sure I would have been accepted, and I planned to major in violin and minor in music theatre.

The bass was given to me by a friend but I did pay him back for it. He bought it stripped of it's original mint-green paint, and it also had a modified pick-up, so it was not worth much. I think at the time it was less than $300. Last year my partner decided to sand it and paint it burgundy, but it still does not get played.

I am also thinking of selling my Toyota in the fall. I would want $3000, to pay off the debt completely.


Comments