Skip to main content

feeding time

I follow myself on Feedly (RIP Google Reader) but the post I put out the other day did not show up in my feed. I wonder if some sort of a link break occurred when I decided not to continue my account with GoDaddy.com. Since I wasn't posting anymore I decided not to pay my annual fee, and instead returned to a blogspot.com address.

So there is a good chance that no one is reading my new posts. Is there anybody out there?

I realize that if decide to continue blogging here that I am going to have to get out there and read/comment on other blogs to drive up readership. Or I can just continue to blog away quietly. I'm not offering anything for sale here so I don't need a huge audience. But I do like to be a part of a community.

For a long time I could not figure out where I wanted to try to belong. I was focused on paying off my credit card, so that made me a financial blogger maybe? But I was on my own with my son and all the financial restraints that accompany that status, so that made me a single mom blogger maybe? But I did not want to release many details or any pictures about him to protect his anonymity so that made me uninteresting compared to most of the mom-bloggers out there. Plus the cliquey drama that I had heard about ...

It's not like I'm a total NOOB online. But like with life I pick and choose my parts. I started out on an online forum in 2003, from there I went to mySpace in 2005 and then LiveJournal that same year. I knew a lot of the folks IRL on the forum, and I made a few IRL friends on mySpace and LJ. Especially LJ. After I had my son in 2006 I noticed that people were posting A TON of Youtube videos, but my old laptop was not fast enough so I never clicked the links. I still rarely click video links, I don't know why, laziness perhaps?

Then Facebook of course in 2007 which revolutionized the way everyone socialized online. Don't say it isn't true. MySpace died a quick and tragic death, and LJ slowly followed (I still post on LJ because my "tribe" on there are single moms in Canada, USA, and overseas and we help each other whenever we can). I have a couple of photobucket accounts still that I used for mySpace and LJ. I even have a Flickr, but that's because I used to keep photos people emailed me in Yahoo Photos, and when they killed that app they opened me a Flickr. I never really got the hang of it though.

In 2009 I joined Twitter, which I loved. Facebook had become too visually distracting for me with all the photo uploads and Youtube linking, and I missed the simple status update. Twitter brought back that simplicity for me and the bonus was that I got to keep my anonymity. I could complain about family and friends without them finding out! However within a couple of years Twitter moved to a branding strategy for a lot of people, and it was back to clicking their links, and my personal way of using the app did not make sense anymore. I did start one to link to this blog but killed it when I found it difficult to maintain two accounts. I still have my Twitter and check it a couple of times a week, mostly to get news on the soccer team that I follow.

I started a couple of Google + accounts but never log in to check them. I am still wary of forgetting to log out, and then have Google track my every online move. They probably already are, but nothing is creepier than the Google Search History two years after the search.

Feedly has renewed my interest in reading blogs, and now updating my own. I like Feedly a lot, but I wonder if it will still have access to my blogroll after Google finally bites the dust?

Comments