Skip to main content

xmas 2010 post-mortem

Happy New Year everyone.

I have been working on my budget for 2011 and I am confident that I will have the last of the credit card debt gone by the end of the coming year. I can't say I will be debt-free because I will then have the $30 000+ student loan debt to tackle, however I am feeling pretty ecstatic to see the end of the credit card era of my life.

It was nice to receive my paycheque on the 28th of December and be able to allocate it entirely into my new budget. I didn't have any credit card bills to pay since I managed to use some savings for all my xmas gift purchases. I also bought way less this year than in previous years. My sister and I agreed to buy nothing for each other and instead got together on xmas eve for a nice visit. I also didn't buy for any of my step-siblings' kids (of which there are now 6) because they keep multiplying while I responsibly keep my number of offspring to just one :)

I kept my traveling to a minimum this xmas and when I did have to drive a distance to visit family I was lucky to have my sweetheart step in to take the wheel so I could leave my car at home, saving me quite a bit of gas money. Next year I hope to travel even less.

I didn't succumb to the temptation of the boxing day sales, even though I found myself in a fancy shopping mall on the 26th because I had received a hoodie that was a bit too tight and I wanted to size it up. I couldn't return it until the 28th so I found myself in the mall a second time. The hoodie had gone on sale since its original purchase so I was able to get the size I wanted plus a gift card for $25 that I'll use later on when I can brave the mall again. I like that I'm able to walk through and just look, and am now able to easily talk myself out of spending money on things I "need." My money does not burn a hole in my pocket anymore.

For 2011 I would like to read more, meditate more, and get to the gym more. More more more. I want to register my son in karate and soccer. I want to find a new place to live, something cheaper, cleaner and quieter.

I hope you find and get what you want this year too.


Seriously, Karissa

Comments

  1. Well you sure lucked out on that hoodie - nice one! I am embarrassed to say that I did succumb to boxing day sales - I bought a winter coat to wear when hiking or some other winter activity like skating as I don't have anything appropriate and would always borrow my daughter's coat which was a bit tight on me. It was $148.00 but I got it for $45.00 - I'm pretty happy with it - very warm and goes down past my bum. Other than that I behaved myself:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I will have it published as soon as I can.