Skip to main content

The little chick pea that could

MindyMom asked me to post the recipe for the chick pea stew I came up with earlier in the week. Since I don't follow recipes well, and tend to just wing it, I'll do my best.

The dish started with a pot of potatoes: 2 white, 2 yukon gold and 2 sweet. I peeled and boiled them for mash. I also added at least six chopped cloves of garlic. When I went to drain it all, I thought the water looked healthy so I drained it into another pot for stock.

Then I put a cup of dried chick peas in another pot with a bunch of water to soak overnight.

The next evening I rinsed the chick peas, put them back in the pot with the potato/garlic water, and set it to boil. I added in about a half cup of dried red lentils. After it started to boil I set it to simmer and added carrots already steamed, about half a bag of spinach, some of the mashed potatoes, a half-teaspoon of cumin and a whole teaspoon of garam masala. I'm pretty sure I also added fried onion and garlic because that's a staple in almost all my cooking.

I also added a bunch of sprinkled salt while I was stirring. When the water looked like it was boiling off too quickly I added two more cups of warm water mixed with a tablespoon of vegetable stock powder.

I let it all cook for awhile until it turned into mush. It tasted better than it looked:



Enjoy!


Seriously,
Karissa


Comments

  1. Looks healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And thanks for the link-love. I usually just wing it too, but your combo sounded so yummy I had to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:01 PM

    I love chick peas. Good veggie recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I will have it published as soon as I can.