Skip to main content

Joy and Gratitude

I used to have a lot of days where I felt down and out, and pitied myself for my hardships and tribulations. Then I began a program of recovery that encouraged me to write a gratitude list whenever things felt too overwhelming for me. At times I would feel so bad that all I could come up with was "a roof over my head." It can be a really difficult exercise if you're not used to doing it.

My original intention was to write three things on my gratitude list each day. That lasted for about three days, so what I've decided to do is write three things each week. Today my gratitude list includes:

1) my employment situation: I make union wages at a part-time job and I pretty much set my own hours. I have daycare at my work so I am never far from my son. I have relative job security thanks to union membership, and full health benefits. My employer deducts 6.5% of my gross pay and matches it in a pension plan. I also have use of an employee assistance program, which includes personal and financial counselling and legal services.

2) my good health and vitality: I feel so fortunate to be healthy and mostly free from pain. While I am grateful for my medical benefits I am equally grateful that I don't have to use them very much.

3) my capacity for awareness: this may sound egotistical, but I am so grateful that I am smart and that I have a good head on my shoulders. Financially I have made some mistakes but I am aware of them and am willing to make some serious amends. I have a sincere love for knowledge that gets me through good times and bad, and I really feel like I am finally growing into my own skin.

How about you? What are you grateful for today?



Comments

  1. Thank you for adding me to your blogroll. I have done the same.

    Congrats on entering the blogger world and posting. It is a fun and sometimes frustrating experience but it can make a huge difference in ones life.

    For me, I am grateful for my wonderful family. I am blessed to have an amazing support system that includes my parents and siblings. I am also grateful that the Lord is preserving my health (which is not perfect but on it's way) and my jobs. Life is not perfect, but most times it is not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI again. This is embarrassing, but how did you create your 'progress' lists/graphs in blogger? I can't seem to find the correct icon to set this up. THanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. OK, I left a comment in your blog, but I was at work and didn't have the link handy.

    So here it is:
    http://www.licketyknit.com/progressbars.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I will have it published as soon as I can.